RE: Italy quake: L'Aquila's new public hospital was hailed as a state-of-the-art, earthquake-proof building when it opened in 2000....

 I note (ad nauseum) that most significant (damaging?) EQ’s seem to happen at night …

… as Owl, not really knowing the answer, replied, “It’s a matter of the atmospherics and …”

Thor

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 10:14 AM
To: Suresh.Acharya(--nospam--at)ci.concord.ca.us; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Italy quake: L'Aquila's new public hospital was hailed as a state-of-the-art, earthquake-proof building when it opened in 2000....

In a message dated 4/7/09 10:05:05 AM, Suresh.Acharya(--nospam--at)ci.concord.ca.us writes:

L'Aquila's new public hospital was hailed as a state-of-the-art, earthquake-proof building when it opened in 2000. But it collapsed along with many centuries-old monuments in the earthquake that struck the city on Monday .....
http://uk.reuters.com/article/UKNews1/idUKTRE53642Z20090407

Thanks, Suresh,

Once again we get pledges that "it will never happen again."

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Structural Engineer
Richmond CA USA