Re: "It's not in our culture"

Bill-
You sound like some architects I have worked with...  This attitude doesn't necessarily explain why that new hospital (ca. 2000 A.D.) failed...  It may have been designed correctly, but materials and construction may have been "substandard."

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Scott, William N <William.N.Scott(--nospam--at)conocophillips.com> wrote:
You need to realize that many buildings in these towns were 1000-years old or more. Renovations to these structures would damage the charm and would be expensive.

Italians know the seismic risk and can chose to accept them.

Bill

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 7:12 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: "It's not in our culture"

As reported by AP/ENR, an Italian government official stated that  "It's not in our culture to construct buildings the right way in a quake zone - that is, build buildings that can resist (quakes) and retrofit old ones. This has never been done."

They say you get a mule to do what you want by first getting its attention by hitting it on the head with a 2x4.  I would think that had already been done in Italy's case, by past devastating earthquakes, but I guess not.

Ralph

Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession. (http://jobs.aol.com/gallery/growing-job-industries?ncid=emlcntuscare00000003)

--
David Topete, SE