Re: "It's not in our culture"

What I find interesting is that there are old buildings still standing that collapsed during this earthquake.  It would seem that a 300 year old building would have experienced severe shaking in the past that it would have collapsed previously.  Is it possible that the previous earthquakes, while not capable of damaging or collapsing the building, weakened it enough so this tremor finished it off?

Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
As reported by AP/ENR, an Italian government official stated that  "It's not in our culture to construct buildings the right way in a quake zone - that is, build buildings that can resist (quakes) and retrofit old ones. This has never been done."

They say you get a mule to do what you want by first getting its attention by hitting it on the head with a 2x4.  I would think that had already been done in Italy's case, by past devastating earthquakes, but I guess not.

Ralph

Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession. (http://jobs.aol.com/gallery/growing-job-industries?ncid=emlcntuscare00000003)