Lastly, I do recognize that the guy who made the comment -- Enzo Boschi, president of the National Institute of Geophysics and Vulcanology (wow, they have their own institute?!) -- is only one person, and he is probably very sorry he opened his mouth, true though his statement may be.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA

In a message dated 4/8/09 9:22:30 AM, William.N.Scott(--nospam--at)conocophillips.com writes:
You need to realize that many buildings in these towns were 1000-years old or more. Renovations to these structures would damage the charm and would be expensive.

Italians know the seismic risk and can chose to accept them.

Bill

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 7:12 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: "It's not in our culture"

As reported by AP/ENR, an Italian government official stated that  "It's not in our culture to construct buildings the right way in a quake zone - that is, build buildings that can resist (quakes) and retrofit old ones. This has never been done."

They say you get a mule to do what you want by first getting its attention by hitting it on the head with a 2x4.  I would think that had already been done in Italy's case, by past devastating earthquakes, but I guess not.

Ralph

Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession. (http://jobs.aol.com/gallery/growing-job-industries?ncid=emlcntuscare00000003)