Re: Italy quake: L'Aquila's new public hospital

Steve does bring up a good point here. Generally speaking , CA earthquakes of similar magnitude are relatively short bursts of 20 seconds plus or minus a few seconds. Long duration shaking will make a "smaller" quake seem more destructive due to the number cycles. In South America, they have EQ's that can last over a minute with massive destruction in the 6 point plus Richter scale.

None-the-less, I feel the hospital should have been operational if it built in the last 10 years (i.e. post Kobe and Northridge)

-gm

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 5:23 PM, SGE Structural <sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com> wrote:
IIRC, the Northridge earthquake lasted for about 15 seconds (I remember it being very long 15 seconds), same with Loma Prieta.  The damage is known, hospitals et al, DSA requirements notwithstanding.
As reported, the duration of the L'Aquila earthquake was 45 seconds (45-to-60 seconds for the 1906 San Francisco earthquake).  I am not sure how even newer buildings here would fare in such an earthquake.
We just do what we can.

V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 16:23
Subject: Re: Italy quake: L'Aquila's new public hospital

I agree with Paul on 1 and 2, but not on 3

As is standard practice here in California, hospitals (with patients, not office or admin buildings) should remain available for immediate occupancy after major seismic event, not simply collapse prevention. If this hospital is really only 9 years old, then something's wrong (code, engineer, architect, inspection/ code enforcement, or construction quality or some combination of them all),

-gm