Re: "It's not in our culture"

Because of Loma Prieta, Northridge and Kobe, our building code has grown in quantity and quality.  We are constantly learning from each event.  Unfortunately, it seems that not everyone in the AEC industry is quite on board with the movement.

It doesn't matter if a structure is designed to meet the minimum standards of a building code if poor workmanship or construction materials (i.e. owner's cash money) trumps the engineering design intent.  A building will behave as it's constructed, and not as it's designed...

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Scott, William N <William.N.Scott(--nospam--at)conocophillips.com> wrote:
Ralph,

If I remember correctly, Northridge and Loma Pieta showed us that our codes and engineering are not perfect. These quakes were a short 15-sec.

Bill

Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 12:45 PM
To: Scott, William N; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: "It's not in our culture"

Bill, I do realize that many Italian buildings are way old, and that many of them would be very expensive to retrofit.  That said, if your kids were in an obviously fragile old school building would you want your officials telling you that "fixing them, and thus saving your children's lives, is just not in our culture"??

About 5 years ago I went to an exhibit in San Francisco of some very flashy, high-tech analysis and retrofit designs for just such old stone structures, giving the impression that they were addressing this subject.  Now I find that "it isn't in our culture," which rather surprises me.

The problem with "knowing the risk and accepting it" is that the knowers and acceptors are seldom the ones who suffer the consequences.  Sort of like the Big Shot Financiers driving our economy to ruin and bailing out with multimillion-dollar bonuses.

Bet none of the guys who made a killing (so to speak) on the improperly constructed newish school that collapsed had any of their own kids in it.  They never do.

Lastly, I do recognize that the guy who made the comment -- Enzo Boschi, president of the National Institute of Geophysics and Vulcanology (wow, they have their own institute?!) -- is only one person, and he is probably very sorry he opened his mouth, true though his statement may be.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA