Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 08:44
Subject: Re: "It's not in our culture"

Because of Loma Prieta, Northridge and Kobe, our building code has grown in quantity and quality.  We are constantly learning from each event.  Unfortunately, it seems that not everyone in the AEC industry is quite on board with the movement.

It doesn't matter if a structure is designed to meet the minimum standards of a building code if poor workmanship or construction materials (i.e. owner's cash money) trumps the engineering design intent.  A building will behave as it's constructed, and not as it's designed...