Re: "It's not in our culture"

I have tried to keep track of the path of seismic design upgrade over the years, going from 0.1W in 1933 to 0.133 in the 1960s to 0.187 to about 0.2-0.5 now, depending on the type of member and materials and geology, etc. But I also recall a seismic meeting in San Francisco in the 1960s in a smoke filled room in which realtors and bankers' lobbyists forced the engineers to only increase seismic factors a small amount - from 0.133 to 0.187 W whereas we all know that seismic forces can be as high as 0.9W.

Stan Scholl, P.E.

Laguna Beach,CA

Earn your accounting degree online. Free info. Click Now!