    *From:* David Topete <mailto:d.topete73(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
    *To:* seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <mailto:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
    *Sent:* Thursday, April 09, 2009 08:44
    *Subject:* Re: "It's not in our culture"

    Because of Loma Prieta, Northridge and Kobe, our building code has
    grown in quantity and quality.  We are constantly learning from
    each event.  Unfortunately, it seems that not everyone in the AEC
    industry is quite on board with the movement.

    It doesn't matter if a structure is designed to meet the minimum
    standards of a building code if poor workmanship or construction
    materials (i.e. owner's cash money) trumps the engineering design
    intent.  A building will behave as it's constructed, and not as
    it's designed...

    On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Scott, William N
    <William.N.Scott(--nospam--at)conocophillips.com
    <mailto:William.N.Scott(--nospam--at)conocophillips.com>> wrote:

        Ralph,
If I remember correctly, Northridge and Loma Pieta showed us
        that our codes and engineering are not perfect. These quakes
        were a short 15-sec.
Bill