Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA

In a message dated 4/9/2009 12:51:27 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jeffsmith7(--nospam--at)comcast.net writes:
I think the issue came up after his attempt at a wall design with a seismic increment of 18H^2 point load at .6H up the wall ;-)

From: Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 12:02 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Retaining wall footing resultant CBC

Jeff
Sounds like your colleague sleeps quite restfully at night due to his conservative approach...not that there is anything wrong with that choice.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA

In a message dated 4/9/2009 10:31:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jeffsmith7(--nospam--at)comcast.net writes:
The reason I was asking is because the other day an engineering collegue told me he designs to the middle third for retaining walls for non essential facilities.  I wonder if  that was required from an old code requirement or maybe some older soils reports required it?

Thanks for your feedback.

Jeff