RE: Retaining wall footing resultant CBC

Steve

Although a foot or two of soil over the toe would not be significant, Retain Pro allows the option since a greater height over the toe could significantly reduce overturning and sliding due to its countering effect.  It’s the designer’s option.  See page 42 of the RP user’s manual.

Hugh Brooks, SE

From: SGE Structural [mailto:sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 10:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Retaining wall footing resultant CBC

Dear Mr. Brooks,

Could you please comment on the rationale behind the available input of "active soil pressure on the toe side"?

I cannot come up with any physical justification for the use of that option. To the best of my knowledge, the RetainPro and Enercalc manuals are silent on the issue.

Thanks,

V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA