Re: Hollow Core Topping and Conduit

They are just single spanning planks at this location (multi-story jail cell area with cmu) so there is no abutting ends. Now they are saying up to 3/4" diameter conduit.

Now I am thinking that running the conduit in the topping is alright (perpendicular to the HC spans), because the topping should be bonded well enough to transfer the shear.  In other words, the load path is shear in the topping, then to the hollow core itself through topping bond where the topping is being interrupted by conduit.

WH

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Paul Blomberg <paul.blomberg(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
I've never actually seen 3/8" conduit (EMT) actually used.  Smallest is normally 1/2".  Could the conduit fit at the ends of the HC planks where they butt together, below the 2" topping slab?

Paul.

On 4/9/09, Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
Talk to the HC mfgr.  They can drill and place the conduit in the planks at mid height before it leaves the plant.

Regards, Harold Sprague

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 19:01:02 -0400
Subject: Hollow Core Topping and Conduit
From: gtg740p(--nospam--at)gmail.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

I have some 3/8" diameter conduit that needs to be run perpendicular to the hollow core slab units (perpendicular to the cores) for the entire width of the building. The conduit cannot go below the HC and the HC is 6" thick with 2" of topping. I don't want to mess up the HC diaphragm topping slab but I don't see any other way to run this conduit and it cannot be placed above the topping slab either. Any ideas on how I can still get the diaphragm shear transfer if the conduit is embedded in the 2" topping slab? I am using a heavy welded wire mesh in the topping slab for the rest of the diaphragm.

Will H

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it out.