Re: Plywood Shear wall

OSB is acceptable for use in shearwalls. It is not a Structural 1 panel, so the allowable shears will be less. In the 2006 IBC Table 2306.4.1, you need to use the values in the lower half of the table. There is a footnote d that allows you to use 7/16" thick panels but use the shear values for 15/32" if the studs are spaced at 16" oc. Not sure how the CBC differs from the IBC here.

Have you had luck in finding Structural 1 plywood? My understanding is that it is hard to find. I tried specifying it some years back but switched to OSB on both sides due to availability/cost.

Tim Rudolph wrote:
Hi,
I have designed an addition to my local volunteer fire department building. It is an essential facility - I called for 5 ply Structural 1 plywood for the shear walls and plywood for the roof diaphragm. The contractor would like to substitute OSB for the plywood(OSB is cheaper). In custom homes and commercial buildings it has not been a problem to allow the change. But with the Essential Facility Structure is plywood what should be used over OSB?

Or rephrased what would OSHPOD want- in a hospital building?

I know about OSB and a slightly different /stiffer interaction at the wood nail interface

Thanks,
Tim Rudolph PE
Bishop CA

Hanging out in Digest mode