From: Tim Rudolph [mailto:timrudolph(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 19:54
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Plywood Shear wall

Hi,
I have designed an addition to my local volunteer fire department
building. It is an essential facility - I called for 5 ply Structural 1
plywood for the shear walls and plywood for the roof diaphragm.  The
contractor would like to substitute OSB for the plywood(OSB is
cheaper).  In custom homes and commercial buildings it has not been a
problem to allow the change.  But with the Essential Facility Structure
is plywood what should be used over OSB?

Or rephrased what would OSHPOD want- in a hospital building?

I know about OSB and a slightly different /stiffer interaction at the
wood nail interface

Thanks,
Tim Rudolph PE
Bishop CA