RE: Plywood Shear wall

STR I OSB is indeed an option per PS2.  STR I OSB is hard to find outside of the west coast, but for folks in California, it should be readily available.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Drew Morris [mailto:dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 09:24
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Plywood Shear wall

OSB is acceptable for use in shearwalls.  It is not a Structural 1
panel, so the allowable shears will be less.  In the 2006 IBC Table
2306.4.1, you need to use the values in the lower half of the table.
There is a footnote d that allows you to use 7/16" thick panels but use
the shear values for 15/32" if the studs are spaced at 16" oc.  Not sure
how the CBC differs from the IBC here.

Have you had luck in finding Structural 1 plywood?  My understanding is
that it is hard to find.  I tried specifying it some years back but
switched to OSB on both sides due to availability/cost.