RE Plywood Shear wall

Hi,
other than the specifics of the code language --is there a compelling reason for the Structural 1 plywood over OSB. - availability is a good reason are there others? the sentence could start with "I feel........ about plywood." :-) or OSB.
Thanks,
Tim Rudolph
Bishop CA

Hi,
I have designed an addition to my local volunteer fire department building. It is an essential facility - I called for 5 ply Structural 1 plywood for the shear walls and plywood for the roof diaphragm. The contractor would like to substitute OSB for the plywood(OSB is cheaper). In custom homes and commercial buildings it has not been a problem to allow the change. But with the Essential Facility Structure is plywood what should be used over OSB?

Or rephrased what would OSHPOD want- in a hospital building?

I know about OSB and a slightly different /stiffer interaction at the wood nail interface

Thanks,
Tim Rudolph PE
Bishop CA

Hanging out in Digest mode