RE: ACI 318 Appendix D

We also use through-bolts for fixing missing holdowns at shear wall ends.  Per Appendix D section 2.2 through bolts are not included.

Freeman Tang

Gouvis Engineering

From: Garner, Robert [mailto:rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ACI 318 Appendix D

In our office, we through-bolt all our concrete anchors and avoid Appendix D entirely.

One engineer in our office has a detail where he attaches the heads of his anchor bolts to chains which are in turn fastened to large chunks of Iron dropped in the bottom of the concrete pour, all to avoid Appendix D.

"We don't need no stinkin' Appendix D".