RE: Bobcat S220 on existing 4" slab-on-grade

Paul:

I did a hoaky check for wide beam shear considering 2.5"x36" between the
reinforcement and checked also for shear friction considering a bar every
36".

I heard from someone else too that the COE method considered edge loading and
it wasn't jumping out at me in TM 5-809-12.

I figured the axle load is around 8k and they are only going to be in there
possibly on a weekly basis.  TM5-809-12 Table 5-1 doesn't go below a design
index of 4.  I don't have a good  feeling for light forklift figure 5-1
saying the design index is 4 for this situation.  TM 5-809-12 section 3-2
talks about a forklift truck category of 1 for maximum axle load of 5 to 10
and a maximum load capacity of 2 to 4 which is what I have with this Bobcat.
TM 5-809-5/AFM 88-7 Table 3-1 would put you in a pavement index of 1 or 2 for
a traffic category 1.

I don't trust any of these old TM's cause they are full of typos and
ambiguities and I think most people that know the answers are ROAD engineers.
For a design index 1 they would not need to do anything to the 4 inch slab.
For design index 4 they are adding a topping slab to drive a bobcat on it.

I am trying to save your tax dollars, but then again I don't want to put my
bureaucratic neck on the chopping block by gambling  on an existing SOG not
getting all cracked up based on a gut feeling.

Scott