From: Andrew Kester <akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com>
Subject: re: tilt elevator panels
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Date: Saturday, May 16, 2009, 10:00 AM

Brian,
Whether you have a CMU, CIP concrete or tilt elevator wall, you need a good waterproofing detail from your architect. But they put sump pits in elevator pits for a reason...

I don't see any structural reasons you couldn't do it either way, but you will want to be careful if you go with a CIP/CMU wall first for the pit, then tilt above that, as you have created a hinge point at the ground floor slab. There are a number of ways to address that in your detailing.

If there is a GC on board or you have a relationship with a tilt contractor, you may want to give them a call. I could see them wanting to do the CIP/CMU wall method for ease of work flow, especially with casting the panels. It depends on where they are casting the panels (the interior slab will not be finished or even placed while the pit is being constructed), and how they want to schedule it all. They may want the pit and slab all done prior to doing any tilt panels.

Andrew Kester, P.E.
Orlando, FL