RE: Steel strsss increase for seismic loads

It's "built in" now.

  I am checking existing steel roof framing members for support of replaced roof top mechanical equipment. Obviously, I need to design per the '06 IBC/'07 CBC for seismic forces and will be using ASD equation 16-20 of the IBC/CBC. Based on Sec. 1605.3.1.1 it looks like a 1/3 increase in allowable stresses for the existing steel roof members is no longer allowed when considering seismic loads. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer

Windows Live™ Hotmail®:…more than just e-mail. Check it out.