Re: SEISMIC: Site-Specific Response Spectrum

Bill,

I am sure some will argue with this but within the United States the current set of USGS MCE maps (packaged in their nice computer ready program) are already very close to a site specific response spectrum.  I suspect you would still need a detailed site specific response spectrum for Nuclear and NGL plants but other than that I would not spend the extra money for one especially for regular commercial or industrial type work.  A lot of overseas clients are just now switching from the 1997 UBC to the 2006 IBC so the only way to get the seismic parameters is to perform a site specific study.  I just went through a full blown ASCE 7 Chapter 21 site specific response spectra effort for a Gulf area project overseas that just switched from using the 1997 UBC to the 2006 IBC.  If done right it is quite an effort.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc
04/30/2009 07:04 AM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
SEISMIC: Site-Specific Response Spectrum

Although I have no personal experience with it, I observe that ASCE 7-05 11.4.7 allows a site-specific ground motion procedure for "any structure." In particular, 21.2 sets forth requirements for obtaining a site-specific MCE response spectrum.

Aside from the cases of seismic isolation or damping systems, as specified in 11.4.7, are there any other situations where you would want a site-specific MCE response spectrum for design rather than relying upon the code-specified response spectrum?