RE: SEISMIC: Site-Specific Response Spectrum

Mission Critical structures for the military, nuclear, large boiler buildings, LNG, where you need to use soil structure interaction, structures sensitive to vertical ground motions, or any place where you want in-structure responses.  Keep in mind that the code-specified ground motions are conservative.  Sometimes they are very conservative.  The Santa Barbara peninsula comes to mind.

Regards, Harold Sprague

From: bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: SEISMIC: Site-Specific Response Spectrum
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:04:03 -0400

Although I have no personal experience with it, I observe that ASCE 7-05 11.4.7 allows a site-specific ground motion procedure for "any structure." In particular, 21.2 sets forth requirements for obtaining a site-specific MCE response spectrum.
Aside from the cases of seismic isolation or damping systems, as specified in 11.4.7, are there any other situations where you would want a site-specific MCE response spectrum for design rather than relying upon the code-specified response spectrum?

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it out.