From: Jeremy White [mailto:admin(--nospam--at)structuralae.com]
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 7:06 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Westergaard Formula for Point Loads on One-Way Slab

Does anyone happen to have a pdf of an explanation of the Westergaard
formula for the effective width of point loads on one-way slabs?  I am
looking for a credible resource for finding the effective width of a
one-way slab for point loads.  I read in the Eng-Tips Forum that the
AASHTO equations are adapted from the Westergaard formula for
application to truck loading.  If I am applying the code prescribed
point loads to a slab on a 4.5 in x 4.5 in square area I think the
AASHTO equations are too liberal.  The contact area for a truck tire
is much larger than the 4.5x4.5 contact area.

Thanks,
Jeremy