*From:* Gordon Goodell <GordonGoodell(--nospam--at)harmonydesigninc.com>
*To:* seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
*Sent:* Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:34:37 AM
*Subject:* RE: Push piers foundation systems

Jim,

PDCA, the Pile Driving Contractor’s Association, likes to say that driven piles are tested piles. This is true. You stop driving when a proof load, your load times some safety factor, is reached. The geotech is useful if you want to know in advance how far you’ll have to drive them.

Another option you might want to check is helical piers, which attain higher bearing much faster (shallower) than piles. They can be driven (by a certified contractor) with the pto for a backhoe or even a Bobcat. The one I’ve used (with excellent results) is AB Chance. Find a local distributor on their website: www.abchance.com <http://www.abchance.com/>

regards,

Gordon Goodell