Re: CMU California Practice in the 1950's

I have also seen an instance where a damp CMU wall showed which cells were grouted as clearly as if one had X-ray vision.  The grouted cells were a completely different shade from the ungrouted ones.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA

In a message dated 5/5/09 9:02:43 AM, oshin(--nospam--at)sdgseinc.com writes:
We have used a thermal imaging camera on one job. We were able to see all the cells in real time on the LCD screen while moving the camera or by taking still pictures of an entire wall elevation.

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.
Los Angeles, CA

From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 7:21 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: CMU California Practice in the 1950's

Yes.  Sounding walls is possible, but requires verification by drilling a hole.  That is not a big deal.  I was just trying to find out what the practice was from 1,500 miles from the project site and having to go through all of the hoops to get into the facility.

I will verify whether or not the cells are filled in the field.

Regards, Harold Sprague