FW: FW: Dallas Cowboys Roof Collapse

FWIW

Victoria, BC
Canada

From: Ralph Watts [mailto:rdwatts(--nospam--at)island.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: FW: Dallas Cowboys Roof Collapse

While it certainly looks suspicious, I would caution jumping to conclusions.
Micro-bursts can be both extremely powerful and very localized.  I heard of
severe damage in a small town in Idaho from these types of winds and it was
like a miniature tornado had hit.  One building would be damaged and the
ones around it were just fine.  As I am not familiar with the codes in
Texas, they may not really address the situation.  The NBC does not address
tornados but they happen in Canada and if micro-bursts can happen in Idaho I
imagine there are parts of BC where they could occur.

There have also been some recent collapses in Calgary of inflated structures
under snow.

I appreciate engineers sharing some of these failures, as I personally
believe there are far more of them out there than most of us are willing to
admit.

Regards,

Ralph Watts