RE: concrete reinforcing steel - ASTM A1035

I notice that the new ACI 318-08 now allows the use of ASTM A1035 high strength rebar for confinement which comes in Grades 100 and 120.  I assume this is the MMFX rebar I see in some of the engineering magazine advertisements and if true their website indicates that some of the local Southern California municipalities allow it to be used for main reinforcing.  Has anyone specified this or have any experience with this new and higher grade rebar?  May be man has just discovered fire?!?

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
05/07/2009 12:43 AM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: concrete reinforcing steel

David,
For many years it was assumed that 60 grade rebar was too brittle to be bent into ties and stirrups.  Devices for bending in the old days for ties and stirrups was done with manual methods.  Thus many practitioners used 40 grade steel for ties and stirrups, but would specify 60 grade bar for flexural or compression rebar.  There was another time period that practioners would specify 60 grade bendable.  Today most rebar in all applications is 60 grade.  And all the fabricators use hydraulic presses for bending bar.

This was back in the old "working stress" days and the "ultimate strength" era was dawning.  Man walked upright a couple weeks later.

Companies such as TAMCO (in California) today manufacture rebar in 40, 60, and 75 grade.  Walk tall, use 60 grade for all.

Regards, Harold Sprague