From: Jim Getaz [mailto:jgetaz(--nospam--at)shockeyprecast.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: concrete reinforcing steel

        David,

                We have been getting 60 ksi bars of all diameters for the same price as 40 ksi for maybe as long as 20 years. Our suppliers tell us the only reason they still differentiate between Gr 60 regular and Gr 60 weldable is that they can demand a higher price for the weldable. But the bars may be from the same heat. That is, most of the rebar here today is Gr 60 weldable.

                I would hope that the extra ductility of weldable bar would be available in California where it could do some good resisting an earthquake, not just here.

        Jim Getaz

        Winchester, Virginia