Re: Dallas Cowboys Roof Collapse

I think that the second last two paragraphs tell a tale that really needs to
be addressed in the Arch/Eng/Building Official intersect.

"Construction ended about six months ago on another Summit project in the
state, an athletic complex at Texas A&M. Summit manufactured materials for
that facility and designed it, university spokesman Jason Cook said.

But Cook said Summit did not handle construction or supply the engineer of
record." - Dallas Morning News

Bold generalization: Pre-engineered manufacturers do NOT provide engineering
consulting services and CANNOT act as AOR/EOR for a project - despite the
presence of a properly sealed set of "erection drawings" from the
manufacturer. If the Owner/GC buys pre-engineered "buildings" through a
dealer/broker, the Owner/GC must provide project engineering or
architectural support for their design/build supply scope. The Building
Authority rarely understands this nuance of authority/liability and
frequently assumes that the other professional designers on the project ARE
the AOR/EOR for the pre-engineered scope. Foundation design engineers are
usually the only other EOR involved with the "building" and are frequently
assumed to be accepting responsibility for the pre-engineered structure.

At the Phoenix NASCC I noted that there are more companies now offering more
pre-manufactured structural and secondary structural "systems" than ever
before. This is cost efficient for the owner, but they can't simply assign a
contractor who can point to engineered elements available off-the-shelf and
assemble a building that can be permitted on the basis that every set of
drawings has a seal by a licensed engineer employed by the manufacturer.

Oooh, I could rant on.

Disclosure: I am a member of a Technical Committee of a Canadian national
quality standard that includes metal framed, fabric covered buildings in the
scope of what are traditionally known as pre-engineered metal buildings.
Manufacturer Certification is mandatory within the scope of the building
codes but it does not address the professional responsibility trail at the
permit office. I am addressing that issue by other means.

Regards
Paul
--
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.