Re: Dallas Cowboys Roof Collapse

To make matters worse, there has actually been a trend in recent years for
the broker to claim that they ARE the structural designer and manufacturer.
Then they turn around and sub-contract the work. The "shop" drawings that
they submit to Owner/GC are signed/sealed on their own "manufacturer" title
block with, maybe, a one-line reference to the actual desgner/manufacturer
in the small print on the information/spec page.

As you point out, the broker is clueless about structures in general, and
probably the building code as well. Unfortunately, the real manufacturer
relies SOLELY on data provided by the broker for the supplied product. Some
manufacturers, even ones with big industry names, won't question the order
details (e.g. low loads, extraordinary deflection allowances, questionable
code interpretations, inappropriate product applications, etc.). The owner
suffers and doesn't even understand the contractual limitations until they
have problems (e.g. no apparent EOR, no mill certs, no site observation,
etc.).

I refer to these as "dump and run" brokers. It wouldn't be as big an issue
if this wasn't happening on multi-million dollar projects.

Would you like fries with your building?

Regards
Paul
--
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.