From: Mark Puccio [ mailto:mpuccio(--nospam--at)mpsqrd.com]
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 12:09 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Subgrade Drag Equation

We are working on an industrial farm project that has a large slab-on-ground. All joints need to have waterstop installed, so we have been told to minimize the number to as few as possible.  I was given, by our client, a reference for joint spacing using the subgrade drag equation.  This reference refers to ACI 360 of which I have the ACI360R-06 but do not find this equation in it.  It also shows joint spacing at 79-feet with #4 at 18. Wow this sounds like cracks waiting to happen.  Not wanting to get sued spurs some questions.

Does anyone know if this equation is acceptable with current ACI?
Has anyone used this type of spacing with good results?
Is this in the 360R-06 or where might if find it.
Besides good curing, low W/C ratio what other factors (besides shrinkage compensating concrete $) were used in your successful project?

Mark

Regards  Gil Brock
Ph +61 7 3807 8022               Fax +61 7 3807 8422
email:            gil(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:            sales(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:            support(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
webpage:         http://www.raptsoftware.com