RE: wood design programs

Have you tried RAM Advanse?  I think they now called RAM Elements or will be called like that soon. It does everything you want except the wood shearwalls. According to Bentley, they will release it later this year.

JJ

From: t.w.allen(--nospam--at)cox.net
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: wood design programs
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 08:23:43 -0700

Woodworks will not do all of the things you want it to do.

I believe the latest version of RISA 3D incorporates a wood wall element including shear walls. I don't believe it addresses diaphragms yet but it is in the works. I have no idea how well it works. Programming wood behavior and design is tricky and I believe, contrary to published statements by SEAOSC's Past President, Martin Johnson, wood design requires quite a bit of REAL engineering. This is not a knock on my colleagues who design steel and concrete structures, but there is a reason why wood design has not made it into computer programs very successfully (yet). I do believe if anyone can do it, it will be Bruce Bates.

The best program that will do exactly what you want it to do?

Microsoft Excel.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers