Re: PDFs

I'm still waiting for Amazon to come out with a 52" Kindle or find a 60" quadHD LCD television I can afford to put under the glass on my conference room table for print reviews (that's enough for a 30x42 sheet at 100%, btw).  As for PDF - avoid Adobe if you want to print anything other than full sheets at 100%. You can't define a print area, and you can't define anything but 100% or scale-to-fit for output. I'll second the Brava! suggestion for printing; I've used it and it works.

BTW - if you have Windows and a laptop, look into offline files. I have yet to find another solution that will both sync my laptop with my work server files _and_ show them as the same drive letter, whether I'm logged in locally or disconnected and in the field.
Jordan

Bill Allen wrote:

Yep. I keep all my receipts and deposits this way. In fact, I haven't had a paper job folder/file since the beginning of last year. I e-mail PDFs of my drawings and calculations to my clients so that they can do the printing. It's amazing how little paper I go through these days. All of the data is backed up automatically via Carbonite. No more tape drives for me. Now, if I can get more of my clients to pay me by making electronic deposits/transfers in to my bank account, it would be even better. Yes, some are already doing this. I need to do more PayPal coaching. Another neat thing I'm using is GoToMyPC. I synchronize job files between my home PC and my office PC. That way, I can work in either place. Better yet, when I'm at a client's office, we can discuss a project by pulling up files on their computer. They don't have to have AutoCAD, etc. or other program other than a web browser.

I'm sure there are other areas where I can become more productive. It's a work in progress.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

V (949) 248-8588 F(949) 209-2509