Re: PDFs

On May 14, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

s for PDF - avoid Adobe if you want to print anything other than full sheets at 100%. You can't define a print area, and you can't define anything but 100% or scale-to-fit for output.

Acrobat lets you do all these things and a helluva lot more. Acrobat Reader (the free one) won't. I use Acrobat all the time for transmittals. totally faithful reproduction form MS Word and all the graphics software I have. Acrobat also does security and scales drawings and lets you copy pieces of graphics (as vector graphics) and text if the document security setting allows it. Acrobat has saved me its cost hundreds of times over. It's like Photoshop for reports.

As you know I'm a Machead which conveys additional benefits with PDF's. I can generate pdfs from any document or software that prints with a tab on the Print dialog. The 'Preview' utility also reads pdf's directly and prints. All this without having to buy Acrobat or download Acrobat Reader.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/