Von: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Gesendet: Do 14.05.2009 20:46
An: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Betreff: Welding mild steel to stainless?

Helpful colleagues,

I am designing a steel window frame, about 8' wide by 6' tall, with a steel frame and 3 interior vertical mullions that divide it into 4 window sections.  It will be encased in 44 pieces of carved limestone mortared together and connected with stainless steel pins epoxied into holes drilled in the limestone, per the manufacturer's typical details.  We are considering using stainless steel for the 3 interior mullions, and perhaps for some other parts of the frame, to avoid rusting.  I have a couple of questions:

How should the stainless steel be specified?

Can mild steel and stainless be welded together?  Any special requirements for that welding?

If we wanted to hot-dip galvanize the mild steel would it be a concern that part of the assembly is stainless?  Is stainless compatible with galvanizing?

I'm assuming that stainless is at least as strong as A36 steel, so I'm using that as the basis of my design.  Is that reasonable?

This isn't a hugely critical structural, but we would prefer that it not rust for a few decades.

Thanks very much for your help.

Ralph in California

Dell Mini Netbooks: Great deals starting at $299 after instant savings! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222627952x1201458914/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B214819460%3B36680227%3Bi)

<<winmail.dat>>