Re: Welding mild steel to stainless?

On May 14, 2009, at 1:35 PM, Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

Can mild steel and stainless be welded together? Any special requirements for that welding?
Yes and yes. Check Lincoln Electric for suggestions on consumables. You don't always need to butter the carbon steel with high nickel electrodes but sometimes it helps. If this is architectural stainless, you may also have problems with discoloration in the stainless at the HAZ.

If we wanted to hot-dip galvanize the mild steel would it be a concern that part of the assembly is stainless? Is stainless compatible with galvanizing?
Probably a galvanic corrosion issue

I'm assuming that stainless is at least as strong as A36 steel, so I'm using that as the basis of my design. Is that reasonable?
No. Typically you'll be using 304 stainless or maybe 316, both of which have a yield strength of 30 ksi in the annealed state or after welding.

This isn't a hugely critical structural, but we would prefer that it not rust for a few decades.
Contrary to what you might expect stainless actually does stain. Sea salt vapor and road salt vapor both can spoil the finish of stainless. It also will show rust stains from nearby carbon steel which rusts.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/