AISC certification

I am involved in a project where the steel fabricator is AISC certified for Standard Buildings.  The owner has hired an outside special inspector who will do the special inspection for the welding done in the field.  The special inspector believes that the full pen welds being done on this project in the shop also require special inspection by him.  Are the full pen welds being done in the shop require third party special inspection? I though the purpose of AISC certification was to improve the fabrication quality through adherence to AWS requirements and avoid the use of third part inspectors?  I have a call into AISC on this matter.