Re: AISC certification

Drew,

You will want to review IBC section 1704 for Special Inspections and specifically section 1704.2.2 for Fabricator Approval.  Special Inspection is required for fabrication shops unless the fabricator is registered and approved by the local building official (see IBC section 1702) to perform such work without special inspection.  Many Building Departments will accept AISC approval as meeting this requirement however you will need to contact your local municipality to make sure.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

Drew Morris <dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com>
05/15/2009 09:51 AM
Please respond to seaint
SEAINT <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Forrest Braun <fbraun(--nospam--at)bbfm.com>
Subject
AISC certification

I am involved in a project where the steel fabricator is AISC certified for Standard Buildings.  The owner has hired an outside special inspector who will do the special inspection for the welding done in the field.  The special inspector believes that the full pen welds being done on this project in the shop also require special inspection by him.  Are the full pen welds being done in the shop require third party special inspection? I though the purpose of AISC certification was to improve the fabrication quality through adherence to AWS requirements and avoid the use of third part inspectors?  I have a call into AISC on this matter.