RE: High Mast Light Pole Design

Call Valmont or another light pole Vendor.

-----Original Message-----
From: seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com
[mailto:seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: High Mast Light Pole Design

I finished my evaluation of existing light poles for some school
districts
and was then given a request to design a high mast light pole.  This
client
does not want to use tapered poles, they want telescoping type poles.  I
have a 70 feet high mast with 36 lights at the top.  They would like it
in
3 sections.  I was given a detail used on another project that
essentially
laps the pipe 2 feet where the diameter changes.  They installed a
bottom
ring called a chatter ring that fits around the upper pie and slides
inside
the lower pie.  Then there is a top ring that gets welded to the top of
the
lower pipe.

Does anyone know of any design standards that illustrate how to detail
this
type of connection?  I've seen it used many times on billboard poles.
I'd
would like to learn more of how to determine the length of lap.  I'm
also
wondering about the welded connection.  The top ring is welded but the
bottom ring looks like it is loose.  I guess that is why it's called the
chatter ring.

Thanks for any insight.

Rich