From: Doug Mayer [mailto:doug.mayer(--nospam--at)taylorteter.com]
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 2:12 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Nailer on Masory Wall

Situation:  typical nailer on top of a cmu wall.  Joists bearing on nailer and ties (H2.5) connecting joist to nailer for uplift.

Problem: DSA (California) backcheck comment believes that cross-grain bending of the nailer needs to be avoided and to design direct connection to cmu wall.

I have never seen the code address cross-grain bending in anything other than lateral anchorage of masonry/concrete walls to diaphragms.  Does the code somewhere specify that cross-grain bending in this situation is not allowed?  Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Doug Mayer, SE

Structural Engineer

--
dangerous content by Cyntergy's
MailScanner and is believed to be clean.