RE: AUTOCAD: Extracting 2D Section from 3D Frame Model

Bill,

Part of the problem is also that AutoCAD will display what is visible.

For example if architectural elevation has windows. Then will see through
the windows and the rear wall, which may include part of framing around
windows, doors, maybe even inside fittings: kitchen sink.

If simply have open framing then, there is nothing to hide/obscure the
framing in the background: it is visible. That conventionally we draw
symbolic stick diagrams of each wall: not what we can see, is another
matter. Symbolic abstraction of critical characteristics: more useful than
3D virtual models maybe?

The simplest way is to place elements on different layers, and switch off in
the paperspace viewports. Otherwise need two cutting planes, to remove the
visible framing behind, whilst viewing from the front.

With 3D packages like solidworks/edge I believe can simply pick the item and
switch off in the view (eg. hide cross-bracing rear wall so doesn't appear
to be blocking door opening in front wall). Revit probably the same.

Regards
Conrad Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust
Adelaide