re: shear tabs

Vish,

I think the only one doing calcs for shear tabs are college kids and steel design programs. Why bother reinventing the wheel when AISC has the tables, and the background to explain where it all comes from including testing in a lab. You are doing exactly what we and any other engineer I know always does in that situation whether in-house on our own drawings or as a specialty engineer.

I would cite that section of AISC, he will look ridiculous if he disagrees with that unless this is for work in another country or something. Check the AISC Code of Standard Practice, looking at the "silver book" it is on 6-463, and emphatically states this is allowed and that the EOR shall supply the fabricator/specialty engineer with the reactions.

Recently when confronted with an EOR asking for moment connections based on full capacity of the beam, we were trying to develop full moments of large WF into much smaller WF columns. This made no sense at all and I threw up the red flag and asked for the actual moments. They responded with a generic moment for all the connections which was like 1/5 of the moment capacity of the beams, so it was a significant savings to our client (the fabricator).

Finally, this engineer should be embarrased by his laziness. The effort to delegate simple shear connections and go back and forth with you on the shop drawings is greater than showing it on your own plans, and it is too bad more clients are not savvy enough to hold their hand to the fire as they are passing on the cost the fabricator/GC and saving their own fee, albeit, a very small amount of time....  Every set of drawings I have ever seen has standard shear connection tables right out of AISC, we even cite where this on our drawings.

Good luck, but you will easily win this one...
Andrew Kester, P.E.
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Andrew Kester;PE