SMF connection

At the roof level of a multistory SMF, The City of L.A quality assurance plans shows the top of the column to be three inches higher than the top of the beam framing into it, and I can not find that in the seismic provisions, anybody know the reason for those extra 3" and whether they are required or merely recommended?

Thanx in advance
--
Tarek Mokhtar, SE
Laguna Beach, Ca