From: PFFEI(--nospam--at)aol.com
Subject: galvanized vs electroplate

the building code specifically requires hot dip galvanized wherever metal
is in contact with pressure treated framing. city of LA plan includes this
in plan check correction sheets and requires it to be written onto  plans.
in practical application, suppliers do not seem to be changing  stock to
hot dip galvanized for rods and hangers (hot dip galvanized nails seem to be
readily available).  we have contacted a couple of suppliers  and they do
not stocking hot dip galvanized rods and Simpson hangers  in hot dip
galvanized are a special order.

i am curious how others are handling this issue.  is electroplated  steel
(readily available) sufficient for rods and is the standard Simpson coating
(galvanized G90) adequate for hangers?

thank you for your comments.

sincerely,

paul franceschi, s.e.