Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Base Plate Design[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Base Plate Design
- From: Richard Calvert <RichardC(--nospam--at)lbbe.com>
- Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:47:41 -0400
- Accept-language: en-US
- Acceptlanguage: en-US
- Disposition-notification-to: Richard Calvert <RichardC(--nospam--at)lbbe.com>
I’m currently in the process of providing calculations for a base plate based on the methods provided in the Design Guide 1 that many of you graciously helped me obtain. However, I’ve ran into a bit of a snag –
Following the example on page 22 for an HSS12x12x3/8 with an18x18x1” base plate loaded with 25.2kips and 428.4 k-in, the bolts have a 2” edge distance in each direction.
I’ve determined the smaller value of A to be 2.1 inches, but the calculation for the critical section - (18-0.95*12)/2=3.3 – is beyond this distance – thus there is no compressive stress at this section. Further, I’m not following what the 1.3 is supposed to represent in the solution of Mpl at the top-right of that page.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Richard Calvert, EIT
Lindemann Bentzon Bojack
Architects & Engineers
tel: 352.242.0100 ext.141 fax: 352.242.0302
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible
for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message
and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if
you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of
this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
that do not relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood
as neither given nor endorsed by it.
- Prev by Subject: AW: Welding mild steel to stainless?
- Next by Subject: Base Plate Design
- Previous by thread: RE: AISC Design Guide 1
- Next by thread: Base Plate Design