From: J B [mailto:jb.seaint(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 11:22 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Srength design Wind Load Factors

Larry,

The wind load factors changed when the directionality factor (Kd) was extracted from the constant in the basic wind pressure. i.e. 1.3/0.85 = 1.53 (approx. 1.6). See the commentary in ACI318-05 Section 9.2.1 for some more explanation.

I don't have a copy handy at the moment, but I'm sure it's also probably described in the commentary for ASCE7 somewhere, too. Theoretically, the only net increase is the difference between 1.53 and 1.6 when using the 1.6 load factor with ASCE7-05 wind loads.

Thanks,

Josh