Re: Heavy Timber Construction for Residential Use

Buddy
I can't find a Table 4.2C in my 2006 IBC.
thanks,
Chuck

AWC Info wrote:

Yes, the /2005 Special Design Provisions for Wind and Seismic <http://www.awc.org/Standards/SDPWS.html>/, which is adopted in the /2006/2009 IBC/, has those capacities listed in Table 4.2C.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media

*American Wood Council*

/Engineered and Traditional Wood Products/*
*1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
202-463-2769
www.awc.org <http://www.awc.org/>

*Email Signature*

*The American Wood Council (AWC) is the wood products division of the American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA). AWC develops internationally recognized standards for wood design and construction. Its efforts with building codes and standards, engineering and research, and technology transfer ensure proper application for engineered and traditional wood products.*

/The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard. Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures./

The document does address in-plane shear capacity. A 2x6 deck with 2 nails per deck/joist intersection is usually good for about 50psf. Does the current code still allow this for LFRS (it comes up occasionally in decks)?

Chuck Utzman, P.E.