Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 7:06 AM
Subject: RE: EMT Properties

Try Allied Tube.  Also, you can get dimensions of EMT from the McMaster Carr website or the Grainger Catalog website, and calculate your own section properties.

I frequently design miscellaneous struts from EMT as you are doing.  I conservatively use 20 ksi allowable bending stress, but usually column buckling controls and the actual stress is much less.

I like the stuff because it is very ductile - it has to be so Sparky can bend all those offsets and such.

Bob Garner, S.E.