From: lrhauer(--nospam--at)earthlink.net [mailto:lrhauer(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: 09 June 2009 23:00
To: SEAOC
Subject: OSHPD Requirements for Surgical Lights

To All,

I am designing the supports for surgical lighting in an existing California
hospital, ("SPC-1" rated). I could design it to the 1995 UBC but would need
to amplify the forces by a factor of "4" for flexible equipment, so I've
decided to design it to the '07 CBC, using Chapter 13 of the ASCE 7-05. There
use to be a requirement for OSHPD work that a vertical component of 0.33Fp be
included, (i.e. footnote "20" of the '01 CBC Table 16A-O), but I can't seem
to find it anywhere in the '07 CBC or ASCE. Does anyone know if this
requirement of 1/3*Fp as a vertical load is still required by OSHPD and where
do I find it in the code?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer, S.E.

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.