Re: Specifications - Welding in Seismic Zone

Refugio,

The first official release of AWS D1.8 was issued too late for incorporation into our current codes such as IBC, AISC, etc.  So unless your local jurisdiction has invoked it or the Engineer of Record has included it in the project requirements there is no regulation that says you have to use AWS D1.8.  That said, I would suggest cutting and pasting a lot of the good words from AWS D1.8 onto your standard drawings and/or specifications.  This now gets even worse as the 2009 IBC will still references the 2005 AISC Seismic Provisions so AWS D1.8 will not be officially be referenced until the 2010 AISC Seismic Provisions.  IBC is still on a 3 year cycle whereas AISC has moved to a 5 year cycle.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

Refugio Rochin <refugio.rock.hill(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
06/12/2009 01:50 PM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Specifications - Welding in Seismic Zone

If a project is in high seismic zone, by that nature is welding in
that zone required to meet AWS D1.8?
I think a better question is, when is AWS D1.8 required?
Unfortunately I do not have the AWS D1.8 nor D1.1 to reference D1.8 use.

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org